Sunday, April 11, 2010

A Year in Hymns #2

I am Thine, O Lord

I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice,
and it told Thy love to me;
But I long to rise in the arms of faith,
And be closer drawn to Thee

Chorus
Draw me nearer, nearer, blessed Lord,
To the cross where Thou has died,
Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To Thy precious bleeding side.

Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord,
By the pow'r of grace divine;
Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope,
And my will be lost in Thine.

O, the pure delight of a single hour
That before Thy throne I spend,
When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God,
I commune as friend with friend!

There are depths of love that I cannot know
Till I cross the narrow sea;
There are heights of joy that I may not reach
Till I rest in peace with Thee.

Fanny Jane Crosby (1820-1915)

This wonderful hymn was co-written with a close friend and collaborator of Fanny's - William H. Doane - in the line written "I commune as friend to friend" is an allusion to her dear friendship with Doane - IF a mere human can be such a friend, how greater would a friendship be with the Author of love, the Lord of all? Crosby had a talent for focusing attention on Christ and on the glories of eternal life with Him. In that way she opened the eyes of believers everywhere.

After reading this hymn - it has been in my head for days -and especially the lines; 'Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope, and my will be lost in Thine'. That is where I want to be - I want to look up with a steadfast hope - and my will be lost in HIS - b/c my heart while broken, is hopeful- only in my Heavenly Father -and for my children though;- everywhere else is I'm a bit 'gun shy'. But I have had moments this last week that give me hope for the future. There have been less tears - more laughter than in a while. I've been learning so much in Divorce Care classes and realize in staying focused on Christ - even in this divorce that 'P' and I can reconcile - not in marriage but 'reconcile' means to live in peace and/or harmony - and where the children are concerned we are reconciled - and for that I am so thankful. Where our children are concerned - we are 'reconciled' so the children have a continuity that so many divorced families do NOT have. We are not badmouthing each other, we consult each other regarding school, health and even movies (thank you Lord). He let me take them to church service on Easter even though it was his weekend.

This past weekend we had our Open House! The children planned it and loved it! -They have been wanting to have friends over for months! So we finally had our house put into enough order to 'have' people over! It was so much fun and just bolstered me; seeing everyone who came to visit and the children were running and laughing and playing for hours - the whole day truly stocked my soul with such happiness. The Lord has blessed us tremendously with friends and I thank the Lord each day for them. I thank the Lord for our new church - I feel the Lord brought them here just for me (some days)- He introduced me to our church family and put them in place a very short time before the word divorce came into my world.
So that when I needed them - the Lord had them in place! When I fell to my knees - they were there. They have helped me pack, helped put up shelves, helped move furniture and even pre-emergent for my yard! They have hugged me when I needed it - cried with me and invited me places - it is so amazing - and I am so thankful for each and every one of them.
so thankful for those who pray for me - who love me and my children and for the children's dad (yes, I am) , for family and friends.

So with a renewed steadfast hope I will lean on Him and look to the future, may my will be lost in HIS will - Jeremiah 29:11 says, "I have a plan for you declares the Lord -to prosper and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future








1 comment:

M.K. said...

Tammy, I can't express to you how very proud I am of you for the wisdom, trust, & tenderness you are clearly showing through all this. You are trying to be moldable in your Father's hands, and that is precious to him. May you continue to see glory and blessing b/c of this time of trial in your life -- results that might not have come any other way. Love you!