Saturday, August 9, 2008

Peach Picking

I have to tell you - it was my first time to pick peaches and in comparison to blueberry and strawberry picking it was a bit more difficult.   
Peaches may look good on one side but if they are green on the other side -and you pick them - they will never go  onto become the yummy sweet fruit you dream of in summer. So you have to be very careful at picking - making sure it was ripe.  There  were trees falling over from the heaviness of the fruit and yet in all those peaches -most of them weren't ready yet....... maybe next week.   

It started out a great day in Texas -in August - at only 74 degrees and stayed in low temperatures till after noon today - and it was drizzling too.  So all the trees were covered with water and as the kids pulled on a peach they each received a shower which brought tons of giggles. 

They did wear out quickly carrying peach buckets so by the end our time there I was carrying three buckets! But the yummy peach ice cream at the end was a tremendous reward.  

Now I'll begin making jams and canning some peaches -I'll keep you posted it's my first time to can peaches!  

Have a great weekend!

No comments: