Sunday, March 1, 2009

It's been a full week!

 I am so tired but of course hopping around on crutches is a bit wearing.  Only one more week though and then 2 weeks with the brace - I'm fine with the brace - right now - it just feels good, safe - secure - and no way of my knee slipping and moving the wrong way way.  :)  
   
Patrick had his Scouting Blue and Gold Banquet Saturday night and it was so exciting!  I've never been to one before and I have to tell you - as banquets go I think it went well.  
We made a cake and  HE WON a ribbon for  it.  I volunteered to help sign cakes in and there were 26 cakes - the categories ranged from America themed to scout themed  and colors, height blah, blah, blah..  12 categories..  and it was supposed to be done by the scout.. well - I have to tell you - I believe very few were done by scouts.    There was one that was beautiful - done up like a scout shirt - with all the beads, patches and ties on it - by a Tiger..(first grader) - there is no way a  first grader did that.... oh well.  I have to let that go... but I baked the cakes and put them together but Patrick iced the cake and rolled out the fondant and cut the fondant and put it on the cake..  We were going for height.  Our cake was almost 2 feet tall !  He was so proud and as I signed in the cakes I noticed that we were the tallest cake... (I was a bit excited but kept  it to myself)  THEN as the judges were going by - the mom of the other almost as tall as our cake walked up and stuck a flag in the top!!!  They counted that so we did not win the height category... but as they were calling out ribbons they called Patrick's name for the best use of the scout colors!!  HE won!  Yea! I had no idea- you know  it wasn't what I wanted to do - but it wasn't about me.. right?  He is very proud!     

When they were taking family #'s for the dinner - most families had parent's and their sons - we had 7 for dinner!  Patrick is very fortunate to have his grandparents around to come to so many fun things he and Rachel are up too - next weekend we have her piano recital! 

I've put some pictures of the banquet - the cake in pieces - it tasted so good.  I used a Southern Living cookbook - and while it was a cake mix  - instead of oil or what the box called for I used buttermilk and then made my own butter cream icing from scratch.  It went over great and we brought the top part of the cake home and I took to the bowling alley tonight  - our church was having a get together and it was devoured.  :) So that's good  - its out of the house - and someone else ate it. :) I love homemade butter cream icing.... :)   

The scouts picked up food for the local food bank, we loved our visit with Uncle Dave and with Calvin and Sarah.  There is a new place in town called The Main Event.  I have my reservations about it - as a mother but the children  are having a blast - at the ropes course and of course I have pictures to prove it.  :) 
Hope you have a super week!   We are all doing great   - Peter is working too hard.  Paw Paw will be purchasing his ticket back to WV soon  and I'm torn about it - I'm thinking he's getting  to a place where he can't do it as well by himself but I do not think he will hear it from me since he lives with me ... you know - it's one of those parent/child things... even though I'm  46! 
Did I say that out loud? oops... :) 
 


No comments: