Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Projects Continued

Just a quick update,  day 2 - and Rachel and I rode bikes this morning... no pictures -it takes two hands to ride and Rachel is a Speed Racer.  We rode a couple of miles - I feel like we could have rode all day - it was wonderful.  I used  to ride a lot in my young single days - the most I ever rode was 82 miles but I did it allot.  There is a ride in Texas - well - there are rides all over Texas - they typically coincide with festivals of some sort = In Tyler there's an  Azalea  Festival, Gainsville has a an Oktoberfest - (that one is yummy too), there's one in Frost, TX, Italy, TX - I used to do all these rides but the biggest by far is the Hotter N Hell Bike Ride in Wichita Falls, Texas AND it takes place in August - (ugh) the heat is miserable.  People from all over the world come to be apart of that ride. The last ride I did there.. was in the late  80's and I was  doing the 82 mile leg of the ride - I did the first 40 miles in 2 hours (yea!  I was riding with the wind)  The 2nd half of the ride took me 4+ hours....   I had to stop b/c of the heat and then I was against  the wind all the way back to the finish - I did finish .... never went that far again but today with the wind in my face and pedaling to keep up with Rachel - for that moment it  was wonderful.  Of course when you get to the corner you have to make sure your 7 year old is looking both ways  and signaling and  teaching the next generation about the absolute coolness of riding bikes.    

After our ride we worked in Rachel's Garden - Very successful - more weeding and cleaning and then the fun stuff began..  :)    She's pretty proud and we are  working on placement of the plants.  

A very  good day...  and I had some yummy tomatoes for lunch! 







2 comments:

M.K. said...

Lookin' good!

I used to bike too, many years ago in my 20s. No 82 mile rides though! My poor old bike is in pitiful shape, but we keep it around anyway. Nobody's ridden it in years :(

Anonymous said...

what a neat garden...I cannot wait to see the finished product...do not forget the faires
love mom