Monday, July 7, 2008

Promised Projects...

Part of me doesn't want to say them out loud or show them to anyone because there will be accountability but.... at the same time, I'd like to accomplish some things this summer and think this might be a good way to share and be held accountable.   I'll keep you posted...
 
#1 - Rachel wants a garden.  I didn't plant my vegetables this year and while July isn't the best time to plant in Texas we are moving forward with it.  Being a 'good' mother I want my daughter to appreciate what it takes to make a good garden so I give her garden gloves and the smaller of the rakes and hoeing tools and we begin to clean out the garden.  It's small for gardens out there in the world; just 4x8' but the right size for us right now. 

 
So before pictures and after 15 minutes... needless to say after five minutes of hoeing
 I heard my name being called, "Momma, I don't think I want a garden"  She thought we  would just go and buy the flowers and  plant them.... So she's learned a new word today; prepare  or make ready the flower bed before we put our new plants!  I wanted to do it while the bed  was in the shade - knowing full well if it were sunny and 95 - I would have lost in her in 3 minutes.  
I was walking around the yard making note of all sprinkler heads - we want to put a patio in and need to understand the placement and moving over everything to make it happen. 

#2 A little bit of exercise every day... so after we dropped Patrick off at golf camp, breakfast
 with Daddy - Rachel and I went up to a local middle school and walked around the track a couple of times.  Rachel wanted me to run it....  Yea,,, not there yet - walking is good for me right now.  

#3  My mother recently lost 10 pounds and so she challenged to me lose some with her - so we are shooting for 10 pounds in the next month and a half - hence the little bit of  exercise every day.  It's a good thing... 
#4 More fresh foods and less fast foods.....  I went to our new local farmers market and purchased all this for only $25  ( I think it was a good deal) corn on the cob, new potatoes, onions, green and yellow peppers, green onions, peaches, plums, tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe and some fresh made pasta by a local couple that sell to a couple of the 4 & 5 star restaurants that are nearby and a yummy dill cucumber dressing I love.  
Have a super week!    I'll keep you posted....  

1 comment:

M.K. said...

Tam- I think that is a GREAT deal for $25 - all that stuff!? Food prices are sky high in the stores. Looks yummy! Good luck on all your projects. (I am NOT exercising!)